Since the time when you were born, you have been going through a series of major and minor transitions in your life. While growing up, you change each level of your education going to the next, more advanced, step. You change your interests, hobbies, people you are interacting with, and your career. Also, there are changes in your relationship status from single, married, divorced, dating, or widowed. Each shift brings new challenges, opportunities, possibilities, and potential failures.
Sometimes the transition is gradual, while other times it more drastic. So, how is it that some people seem to go through these changes smoothly while others get stuck and perhaps even stop? The key is in the 7 steps below:
- Acknowledge the shift. If you do not recognize that your environment has changed (e.g., retirement, marriage, divorce, and so on) and you need to change the style of your leaving, you might develop depression due to being unsatisfied with new things you have to deal with.
- Attitude is everything. Positive attitudes during the time of transition don’t come naturally, rather they need to be put on like a piece of clothing. By focusing on the good possibilities instead of the negative, you can improve your attitude.
- Be forward thinking.You need to look towards the future. Plan your future activities that will help you adjust easily to your new situation.
- Embrace the present. One of the trappings of looking too far ahead and too much in the past is missing out the current moment.
- Learn from the past.In every situation, there are opportunities for growth. One of the best ways is to reflect on the past and learn from any mistakes, failures, or missed opportunities.
- Set new goals.If you feel that something is going wrong in your life, spend some time searching your heart through writing down a list of the activities you think will make you happy.
- Begin acting. All the planning, growth, positive thoughts, and good intentions can amount to nothing if it is not followed by some sort of action.
Good transitions tend to make a way for positive shifts in the future. Once it is done successfully, it’s more likely that you will tend to use the same approach in the future.