We can use imagery to help us feel better about ourselves.
- Think of a situation or event in the past when you have strongly felt this way. Or think of a person (real or fictional) who has the qualities you desire.
- Think about that time, or that person – what do you see? What do you hear? How are you/they behaving? What do you/they look like? What do you hear? What else do you notice?
- What feelings do you notice as you imagine yourself at that time, or being that person? What do you feel now?
- What physical sensations do you notice?
- Can you think of a word which describes this good feeling, a word you can use to bring back this feeling whenever you need it?
- Now focus on that word with the image, and notice the feelings.
You are now able to bring back this positive feeling, whenever you want or need to.